Taking time each week to prep some homemade staples to keep in the fridge, is key for me! I get asked all the time what some of my staples are, so I am finally sharing them with you. These are in addition to stocking the pantry and fridge with healthy food each week, which I will be sharing in a separate blog post. I choose a day each week (usually Sunday or Monday) to prepare these go-to items so I can just grab them as needed.
Glass Jar Staples
1. Almond Milk. Ever since I posted about making this homemade almond milk recipe, I have been making a weekly batch ever since. I love to use it in my morning tea or coffee, baked goods, chia seed pudding, oatmeal, desserts, etc. It is also amazing to have a glass on its own!
2. Chia Seed Pudding. I recently started making this for a quick breakfast and absolutely love it because it contains 2 ingredients and is delicious! Combine 1 cup of almond milk (above) and 3 Tbs. chia seeds. Mix it together and leave it in the fridge overnight and you have breakfast in the morning. I like to top mine with fruit and nuts!
3. Homemade Salad Dressing. I grew up on my mom's homemade salad dressing recipe and absolutely love it. In a jar combine 2 Tbs. olive oil, 1 Tbs. vinegar (of your choice), 1 Tbs. dijon mustard and salt and pepper. Shake it to combine and leave it in the fridge to enjoy on your salads throughout the week. I usually double the recipe for a whole weeks worth. You can also add other flavor enhancers: herbs, garlic or shallots, seasoning salts, etc.
1. Cooked Quinoa. I love having quinoa on hand to add to salads, breakfasts, or as a side dish. I usually make 1-2 cups cooked quinoa which is plenty for my husband and I to get through the week.
2. Hardboiled Eggs. In addition to fresh eggs, I like to have half a dozen hardboiled eggs on hand for my husband to take to work as an easy breakfast. They also make for a great salad topper or snack!
3. Cooked Poultry. I love to have grilled or baked poultry of some kind on hand. I usually have chicken, steak or shrimp that I can easily take from the fridge to make a salad or add to a main dish. It takes the guesswork out of lunch for me!
As expressed above, these staple items are in addition to the fruits, vegetables, dairy, poultry and pantry items that I keep on hand. I would love to know what some of your staple items are, so be sure to comment below!