My current Summer obsession is salads! But not just your typical lettuce and veggies, although you can never go wrong with that. I had a watermelon left over from the 4th of July holiday, so I sliced it up with some fresh cucumbers, feta cheese and mint and it cured my salad cravings. It is perfect for lunch on a hot day or BBQ out on the patio for dinner.
I started by scoring the watermelon on the diagonal and then horizonally, which created 1 inch cubes. I also cut up the cucumber and feta cheese into 1 inch cubes so all of the ingredients were about the same in size.
This salad is amazing because it comes together so quickly! Once all of the ingredients were chopped up, I thinly sliced mint and made a vinaigrette dressing to top the salad with.
I love all of the flavor you get from the liberal amount of freshly ground pepper and the fresh mint. This salad has the perfect balance of salty sweet.
This recipe makes enough for two, so my husband and I enjoyed it along side some grilled chicken for dinner and it was amazing! You could certainly double or triple the recipe for a crowd.
We have had a busy Summer so far with lots of time on the road, entertaining guests and enjoying the sunshine. It's nice to have this simple recipe at our fingertips for a quick yet satisfying meal. I had a moment today where I was feeling ready for the Fall season, and then I remembered we are not even halfway through the Summer and I better enjoy it while it lasts! Anyone else get that itch for the next season to begin? Regardless, be sure to add this to your Summer recipe rotation :)
Watermelon, Cucumber and Feta Salad Recipe
- 3 cups of watermelon, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 seedless cucumber, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup feta cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 Tbs. fresh mint, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbs. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Cut the watermelon, cucumber and feta cheese into 1 inch cubes. Thinly slice mint. Add all ingredients to a large bowl.
- Mix the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper. Pour over the ingredients and toss until well combined.
- Place in the refrigerator and let sit for 10-15 minutes for the flavors to blend.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint and serve immediately.