Recently I have found myself wanting to cook healthier meals that have simple yet quality ingredients. I think it has something to do with the warmer temperatures and the looming bikini season coming up. I took all of my current favorite seasonal vegetables and came up with this delicious and simple grilled asparagus and caprese salad. It is perfect for a spring or summer night!
I found these gorgeous asparagus at my local farmers market that I could not pass up! I like to buy the stalkier asparagus whenever I am grilling them since they hold up better. I started by tossing them in olive oil and sprinkled them with sea salt before grilling for about 6-8 minutes.
While the asparagus were grilling, I prepped the rest of the ingredients. I found a mix of red and yellow cherry tomatoes that I sliced in half and mixed with good olive oil, red wine vinegar, and sea salt.
The next thing I did was finely slice some fresh basil leaves. I absolutely love the smell of fresh basil in the kitchen! It instantly makes me feel like I am in Italy making a fancy meal, even on the most ordinary of week nights.
Assembling this dish is so incredibly easy. I started with the grilled asparagus as the bottom layer and then added in some feta cheese to the tomato mixture before I poured it on top. You could also use goat cheese, mozzarella, or cotija; these would all be amazing as well.
The addition of the cheese breaks up all of the veggies and gives it a nice salty flavor. Once you sprinkle the cheese on top, it's time to enjoy it!
My husband and I enjoyed this dish along side grilled chicken but it would be a great side dish to any protein. The best part about grilling dinner is that it makes for super easy cleanup in the kitchen after (score!).
Cheers to kicking off grilling season and warmer evenings! I would love to know what you think of this recipe, so be sure to comment below or on my Instagram.
Grilled Asparagus and Caprese Salad Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs. fresh asparagus (about 2 bundles)
- 1 pint red and yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade or thinly sliced
- 2 oz. crumbled feta cheese (or goat cheese, mozzarella or cotija)
- 4 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. sea salt, divided
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat the grill to 400 degrees.
- Wash and dry the asparagus. Remove the tough ends of the asparagus by snapping it at its tender point at the bottom. Drizzle 2 Tbs. of the olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Spread the asparagus on the grill and grill for about 6-8 minutes, turning once until they are slightly charred. Remove from the grill and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk 2 Tbs. of the olive oil with the red wine vinegar and 1/2 tsp. sea salt. Slice the tomatoes in half and add to the bowl. Chiffonade or thinly slice the basil and add to the bowl. Stir the mixture completely.
- To assemble, place the asparagus on the bottom and top with the tomato and basil mixture (down the center). Top with crumbled feta cheese and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve warm or cold and enjoy!