It was close to 90 degrees this weekend in Southern California! Between all the ice cream eating to stay cool, it has me wanting to cook lighter meals. I love mixing up our week night meals from the ordinary lean protein, vegetables and healthy carbs on the plate. Although this recipe contains those main food groups, let's face it, they are way more fun to eat!
I have made a lot of variations of lettuce wraps over the years but this recipe is currently our favorite. It is loaded with protein and has a ton of flavor! The best part about this recipe, is that it is extremely versatile and honestly anything goes! It also makes for great leftovers to have for lunch the next day :)
Turkey Quinoa Lettuce Wraps
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil for cooking
- 1 shallot
- 1 clove crush garlic (I omitted this since my husband is allergic)
- 1 lb. ground turkey (I use 99% Lean but you can use any ground meat)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 red bell peppers (can also use yellow)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup dried yields 4 cups cooked)
- 1 8 oz. can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 small bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 head of lettuce, washed and drained with the leaves pulled off (ice berg, bib or butter lettuce)
- sesame seeds for garnish
- 2 Tbsp. hoison sauce
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce (I use tamari lite gluten free)
- 3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- freshly grated ginger (1 in. piece of ginger)
Additional toppings might include: chopped roasted peanuts, crispy rice noodles, cilantro, etc.
1. In a medium skillet on medium-high, warm the olive oil. Add the crushed garlic and shallot. Cook until translucent but not burnt. Add the ground turkey meat and cook until it is cooked through. Using a spatula, break up the pieces as it cooks to resemble ground beef.
2. Add the mushrooms and bell peppers and cook through. Turn to low and fold in the cooked quinoa.
3. In the meantime, combine all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl with the freshly grated ginger. Add the sauce to the cooked mixture once all ingredients have cooked through.
4. Fold in the water chestnuts and green onions.
5. Serve in lettuce cups garnished with sesame seeds and additional green onions sprinkled on top