I get so nostalgic when I think about the Memorial Day holiday weekend. Growing up, it not only meant kicking off the Summer season but also that school was almost out. As I have gotten older, I look forward to the holiday weekend to kick off grilling season, lots of outdoor entertaining and taking advantage of the amazing produce that's in season. I got excited when I saw that peaches and blueberries were back in season at my farmer's market, and I knew I wanted to put them into a dessert for the holiday weekend. This peach and blueberry greek yogurt cake is perfect to enjoy over the Memorial Day weekend or anytime throughout the Summer months.
I started by picking out some of the sweetest and juiciest peaches at the farmers market. It's important to use fresh ripened peaches and blueberries in this recipe (but not overly ripe) so that it gives the cake a natural sweetness and keeps the cake moist.
I used two different kinds of peaches which gave it a nice flavor and texture but you could certainly use whatever kind of peaches you'd like.
With just a few simple ingredients, the batter comes together really quickly! I poured it into a 9x3 springform pan lined with parchment paper. From there I layered the peaches in a spiral design and topped it off with the fresh blueberries.
I love how colorful this cake looks both before and after you put it in the oven. The fruit cooks down a bit and the cake rises nicely to fill in the gaps. The cake holds up well to the fruit and compliments it without being too sweet.
Once the cake was completely cooled, I sprinkled lots of powdered sugar over the top since everything just looks prettier with a little dusting of sugar, right?
The cake is amazing on its own, and you could also serve it at a brunch or summertime lunch. I made this for our friends who came over for our first BBQ of the season, and topped ours with some fresh vanilla ice cream. All of the flavors brought me back to the Summer nights I so loved as a child growing up.
Whether you are staying home for the holiday weekend or heading out of town, I hope you add this recipe to your weekend BBQ's! My husband and I are looking forward to heading out of town to enjoy lots of pool time and of course to eat lots of cake :)
Peach and Blueberry Greek Yogurt Cake Recipe
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, brought to room temperature
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 peaches, sliced into wedges
- 6 oz blueberries
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Grease the side and the bottom of the pan with butter or cooking spray. Line the bottom of a 9x3-inch springform pan (or 9 inch round cake pan) with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper too.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, together into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter, sugar, and 2 eggs until very light in color and fluffy, 2-3 minutes on high speed. Add vanilla and Greek yogurt and continue beating until very creamy and light in color, for about 1 more minute.
- Keeping the mixer speed low, mix in the flour mix until combined. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the cake batter to the springform pan. Top with sliced peaches, and scatter blueberries evenly on top in the spaces between the peach slices. Sprinkle the fruit with 1 teaspoon granulated sugar.
- Bake until cake turns golden, and the tester comes out clean in the center, about 35-40 minutes, depending on your oven.
- When the cake is done baking, let it cool (still in the baking pan) on a wire rack. After cake has cooled completely, release the cake from the springform pan. Slide your hand under the cake, between the parchment paper and the bottom portion of the springform pan and move the cake with the parchment paper attached to its bottom onto a cake plate easily.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and top with vanilla ice cream (optional). Serve and enjoy!
* This recipe was adapted from this original recipe.