After a brief hiatus over the Summer, I could not be happier to be back in the kitchen and back to this ol' blog of mine! I took some time off while my husband and I relocated from living in Southern California back to Northern California. We are thrilled to get back to our roots and be closer to our families and friends. As someone who likes to cook, having to pack and unpack our kitchen was one of the hardest parts for me. We are finally (almost) unpacked, which means I can actually cook again! I found myself looking for easy, healthy and comforting meals which lead me to come up with this incredibly tasty one sheet pan meal. It is perfect for the upcoming Fall season, an easy weeknight meal, and it also makes for amazing leftovers to have throughout the week.
I am so excited that I can finally grow a mini herb garden since our new kitchen gets a lot of great natural light. I used our homegrown herbs, mixed with farmers market vegetables and chicken. With minimal prep work involved, dinner practically made itself.
I used a combination of all of the vegetables we had on hand: carrots, mini tomatoes, broccoli, bell peppers, red potatoes, mushrooms and red onion. You could certainly use any and all vegetables for this dish!
When I first tested out the recipe, there was not enough flavor, so the second time around I added cumin and paprika. Those two spices helped to elevate the flavors without being overpowering. I also used a mix of fresh and dried herbs.
It took me about 15 minutes to get the veggies and chicken chopped and mix up the spices. Once it was all combined, I put it all on a sheet pan and topped it with some fresh thyme. It really is that easy :)
This dish makes the kitchen smell amazing when it's cooking! What you end up with is a healthy and comforting meal all in one. Since I added potatoes to ours, we didn't feel a need to serve it over rice but you could definitely serve it over rice or your favorite starch. It is also really yummy served on top of a salad.
Aside from the minimal prep and cook time, the best part is that it makes for very easy clean up. This time of year I am always looking for easy make ahead meals and this one definitely checks all the boxes. My husband and I will be making this meal a lot this season. :)
One Sheet Pan Chicken and Veggies Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 2-3 red potatoes
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2- 1 cup of grape or plum tomatoes (I used 1 cup)
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme, for garnish
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. dried herbs
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- Dash of worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 3-4 Tbs. olive or avocado oil (depending on the amount of meat and veggies you use)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Chop all of the veggies into large pieces. On a separate cutting board, chop up the chicken into cubes.
- In a bowl, combine the veggies, garlic. Add in the chopped chicken and coat the mixture with the oil, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix all of the spices together.
- Pour the spice mixture over the chicken and veggie mixture. Coat evenly.
- Place the mixture onto the sheet pan and top with sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes depending on your oven, until the veggies are charred and the chicken has cooked through.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!