We were greeted with a heat wave to kick off the first official days of summer here in California. Are you getting the heat where you are? It seems as though any lingering gloomy weather has disappeared and the heat is here to stay. All of which led me to create this amazingly easy and fresh grilled corn, tomato and avocado salad. These few simple ingredients are transformed into the perfect salad to serve at a BBQ or to keep on hand for an easy lunch or dinner during the summer months.
I always get so excited when the produce at the farmers market changes with the seasons. I found this fresh white corn at my local farmers market and I love the way it tastes in this dish. It gives it a nice crunch and slight sweetness. You could certainly use fresh yellow corn as well.
Tomatoes are also a summer staple in our house! There really is nothing like having vine ripe tomatoes to put in a summer salad.
Once I gathered and washed all of the produce, this salad comes together very quickly! I simply grilled the corn for a few minutes so that it got a little char but I didn't cook it all the way so it remained tender and crisp.
I also had some fresh mozzarella cheese on hand and since I am a big fan of adding cheese to my salads, I just had to add it! Feta cheese would also be amazing.
What you end up with, is the perfect mix of summer flavors, a nice crunch from the corn and slight creaminess from the avocado and cheese. The best part about this salad is that you can make it ahead of time (add the avocado before serving) and you don't have to heat up the kitchen to make it!
My husband and I enjoyed this along side some freshly grilled salmon and it was amazing! I also packed up some for a BBQ and put it in my favorite jars. It was not only easy to make and transport, but everyone loved the individual servings!
I hope you give this recipe a try this summer! I would love to hear what some of your favorite summer recipes are, so be sure to comment below or on my Instagram :)
Grilled Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salad Recipe
- 4 ears of corn, husked
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 cup diced mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- Maldon salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Shuck the ears of corn and brush lightly with olive oil.
- Grill the corn for about 5-7 minutes, turning often until slightly charred. Cool the corn and cut it from the cobs.
- Whisk the olive oil and red wine vinegar in a bowl to blend.
- In a medium bowl combine the tomatoes, avocados, and mozzarella cheese with the cooled corn. Add the chopped cilantro.
- Pour the olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing over the salad. Sprinkle with freshly cracked pepper and salt to taste. Toss to combine.