Last weekend was the first weekend that actually felt like spring weather around here! We spent the weekend working on our new vegetable garden, BBQ'ing and trying out some new spring recipes. This citrus and avocado salad with balsamic shallot vinaigrette is the perfect spring and summer salad! The balsamic dressing recipe has been passed down through family and friends through the years and is hands down my favorite dressing! It pairs perfectly with the citrus, tang from the feta cheese and saltiness of the pistachio nuts in this salad.
The best part about this salad is that it can quickly be assembled for an easy weeknight dinner, or to feed a crowd. I like to assemble the salad on a platter ahead of time, leaving off the avocado and dressing and then when I get home from a busy day, all I have to do is toss it! And, I always have a jar of this dressing recipe stocked in my fridge, because it's just that good!
Although the rain has returned now, I look forward to the warmer months ahead and enjoying this salad recipe again and again! I would love to know if you try this recipe, so be sure to leave a comment below or on my Instagram :)
Citrus & Avocado Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette Recipe
- 2-3 heads of butter lettuce, washed
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 2 blood oranges, thinly sliced
- 2 oranges, thinly sliced
- 2 cara cara oranges, thinly sliced
- Feta cheese
- Pistachio nuts (or any kind of nuts)
Balsamic & Shallot Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 3/4 cups olive oil
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- Salt and pepper
- Carefully trim the butter lettuce leave off the head. Rinse well and dry.
- Toss the full leaves, and avocado with the vinaigrette and serve on a large platter. Top with the citrus, feta cheese and pistachio nuts. (As noted above, you can also pre-assemble the salad and add the avocado and vinaigrette to toss).