I hope you all had a great Easter weekend! I enjoyed time with my family and am feeling refreshed. However, the last thing I feel like doing after a holiday weekend is make a fancy weeknight meal. This recipe for chicken fajita bowls is so easy, healthy and yummy!
When I say this recipe is easy, I am not joking. You literally put all of the below ingredients into the slow cooker and voila, dinner practically makes itself! This is a great one to add to your weeknight meals or it is also a great meal to serve for a big crowd.
Chicken Fajita Bowls
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 packet of your favorite fajita seasoning
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3/4 cup of fresh salsa (plus more for serving)
- *1 cup cooked rice or quinoa
- *1 can of black beans rinsed and drained
- Toppings: grated cheese, dollop of greek yogurt or sour cream, salsa, avocado, lime wedges, cilantro
Thinly slice the bell peppers and onions and add them to the bottom of the slow cooker. Put the chicken breasts on top of the peppers, sprinkle the fajita seasonings, lime juice and add the salsa on top. Turn the slow cooker on low for 5-6 hours. Before serving, cook the rice or quinoa separately and set aside. Warm the black beans and set aside. Once everything has cooked through, in a bowl layer the rice or quinoa on the bottom, add the black beans, chicken fajita mix and all your toppings. Enjoy!
* If you would like to cook the rice and beans in the slow cooker, add to the slow cooker on top of the chicken and add 1 1/2 cups water. I personally like to cooke them separately in case I want to use the mix in tortillas or on top of a salad.